Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101977 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 07:51 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i've always only see the large ones, that are 5 or 6 inches across. well, i was at a formal dinner and had the little bitty ones, the size of a quarter, for dinner and they were so good. anyone ever grow any?

#102037 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 02:28 AM
I grow little yellow ones – in fact I just picked some earlier today! You get tons of them, they’re easy to grow and kids love the bright colours! They’re also easy to cook – just wash and trim a bit and then you can bake them, fry them in butter or oil or even have them raw in Mediterranean style salads.

starfish #102110 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 07:23 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
we had the little yellow and green ones. are the seeds easy to get? if i sent you $$ would you share with me? grin please?

#102126 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 07:57 AM
I think they are pretty easy to get - I get mine mail order and they only cost the equivalent of about $1.50. I'd be very happy to send some seeds to you but I'd need to check with Customs - are there USA import restrictions on British seeds? I don't want an over-zealous customs official to beat you up and fling you in jail!

If you cant get them locally please do send me you address and I will try and arrange to send you the best of British!

starfish #102162 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 09:30 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Jiffy, I have never grown them, but I use to get them in the produce section of the grocery out in California! I have never seen them in the stores in IN or OH!!! I don't know why we can't get them here!! Out there they had the pale green ones, 3 to 5 inches across. Didn't see them in yellow, though. I found the taste, by themselves, rather bland, but I enjoyed fixing them just because they are so different looking! Hope you get your seeds!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #104466 Aug 6th, 2007 at 02:40 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
starfish, i forgot you are in england! i'll check around here first, and let you know, thanks for the offer!

shirley, these weren't that big. and they had a nice taste. not at all like the ones you are talking about (which i have had and see in the grocery here).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image