Print Thread
Rate Thread
#100594 Jul 31st, 2007 at 07:40 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
My question is can I put down grass clipping where I want a ground cover to spread. Or will the mulch retard the spread of the ground cover. I have several ground covers working in that area. Most of which I don't know the names of lol.

The anenomes don't seem to mind having the grass clippings around them but they are taller and create a sparse covering at best.

The sweet woodruff seems to be very shy and I can't seem to make it spread at all. Should I put in in a location where there won't be any mulch at all? Or any competion from the other ground covers?

The yellow flowered succulent type leaf ground cover makes such a dense mat that there isn't anywhere to put a mulch around it anyway so that's not a problem.

The ornamental grass creates runners so I'm assuming the grass clippings probably wouldn't bother it. Does that sound about right?

I have no idea whether the peppermint would like or dislike grass clippings as mulch around there patch of ground.

I hope you all can help me.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #100925 Jul 31st, 2007 at 08:21 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
if the ground cover spreads by suckers or runners, the clippings won't bother...in fact, you can take the runners and cover portions with soil and then top with the clippings and it'll still root.

the woodruff needs some decent shade and it does need to have other groundcovers away from it. it seems to be a bit of a slow-grower from what i've seen with the bunch i have...it grew/spread from last year - not too much tho (only a couple of inches and only in one direction. i did notice that it seemed held back when the stupid creeping charlie moved in. (man, i really hate that stuff!).

if you do put any clippings around it, i'd leave a good couple inches around the perimeter of the woodruff clear - let it have breathing room.

plant the mint without it being in a submerged pot and it WILL take over!! nothing will stop it!!

can you post pics of the stuff you don't know what it is??

Zone 6b
Joclyn #100971 Aug 1st, 2007 at 04:19 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I don't have a working camera. Maybe next year when it blooms which is early spring I can get some pictures. It's just that my computer is so old the new camera's don't work with it.

Thankyou for the information. I'm definitely going to give the sweet woodruff some room and then add mulch around the ornamental grass. This is going to help with water retention and growth. Thankyou for the information. I really appreciate it.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #100972 Aug 1st, 2007 at 04:32 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Whew I got out there and spread the grass clippings around the ornamental grass and pulled the anenome away from the sweet woodruff and planted it father away. I'm so happy to know what to do with those two. Thankyou again for the information.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #101756 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 10:42 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
you're very welcome!!

further info on the woodruff - where i've got mine is next to/bit behind the daylilies. the areas of the woodruff that spread out are on the side of the clump that's away from the daylily. so, i definitely believe other root systems affect the woodruff - looks like they prefer no competition :wink:

i wasn't able to do any real fertilizing last year (broken foot) so, i'm going to do that this year. i'm a bit behind - still have a couple of months to help the woodruff do a bit a branching out before the season ends, tho!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #102129 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 08:04 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I guess that bed looked mighty inviting. I found a teenager asleep in it this morning. Needless to say I don't think the sweet woodruff survived being slept on. What will they do next?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #102407 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 02:05 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
omg!!! how awful!!! what the heck was someone doing sleeping in someone's garden?????

even though the woodruff is crushed...it might revive - and there's time for it to do a bit of new growth before the cold sets in. also, since the root system is established, it should come back next year.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #102778 Aug 4th, 2007 at 08:32 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Oh thankyou for saying that. I so hope that it does.

I live over the top of a bus station. It appears he didn't have the money for a hotel so he just slept in the back. Unfortunately on top of one of my flower beds.

At least he didn't get the new ornamental grass bed. It hasn't had time to establish itself yet. But it hasn't turned any browner so I'm holding out hope.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image