Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#101429 Aug 1st, 2007 at 05:18 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Anyone else watching on the news???? Scary. nervous

Jess lives nearish to there, sure hope she's okay.

Last edited by loz; Aug 1st, 2007 at 05:19 PM.
#101431 Aug 1st, 2007 at 05:27 PM
Good lord what could have caused a total failure like that! I am glad to hear there are no deaths at least at the moment.
Lots of prayers to all involved.

#101432 Aug 1st, 2007 at 05:27 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I hope Jessica checks in with us , so we know she and her family is okay! kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I too am hoping all people involved are okay....so scary, I mean I could see an earthquake doing that but not it just collapsing for no reason. So terrible. Our train went right by there......

#101438 Aug 1st, 2007 at 05:50 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Reports of one life lost. tears

#101439 Aug 1st, 2007 at 06:01 PM
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
I was watching the first reports of it right after it happened...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think an accident is the cause of this... this is just to large... all of a sudden, out of nowhere, like this? In only the certain sections? I don't think so.. shock nervous

Sure hope Jess and her family is OK kissie kissie

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
#101442 Aug 1st, 2007 at 06:04 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
Reports of one life lost. tears

tears prayers for the family.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Mark I'm thinking that them working on the bridge is probably something that might have weakened it....someone will have a LOT of explaining to do about this.

I feel so bad for these people and their familes. So bad.

You think you are safe on a bridge, but I guess you never know.

#101459 Aug 1st, 2007 at 06:47 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Has anyone heard from Tamara from Minnesota? She was in tomatoes around 4ish. I hope everyone she knows is OK.

#101463 Aug 1st, 2007 at 06:54 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
OMG! i just turned it on......i can't help but think "terrorists"? it probably was weakened while doing work on it, but so much fell?!?!?! those poor people

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'm not thinking terrorist, (i could be wrong) i'm thinking barge hitting the supports. quite a few years ago, a barge hit the supports of a railroad bridge in mobile bay (alabama) and caused the amtrak to derail. wasn't nice and the tugboat captain wasn't sure he had hit the bridge :mad: so he didn't report it. he thought he something else touched

#101473 Aug 1st, 2007 at 07:17 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i remember that.....i hope your right and it is not an attack. right now i guess it really does not matter why, all that matters is those people and families....that must be awful to have to go thru something like that..... nervous boohoo

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
no word from our "family" there???? i hope they are all home, safe, and glued to their t.v.'s like we are!!!! prayers to everyone....

#101481 Aug 1st, 2007 at 07:28 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
Wow...I guess I need to watch the news.
...wouldn't have known anything about this if I hadn't seen it here.

me either, i got on here as soon as i walked in the door, saw this, and then turned the t.v. on

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
DH read about this on MSN & told me.--at the time he read it there were no fatalities. That whole storey is so sad. it makes you realize that one jsut nefvfer knows. praying for all involved. prayers

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Just a report to let you know that Jessica is OK.
I just talked to her on the phone. She is nowhere near that area and doesn't drive on that bridge.
She said she wondered if anyone on here would wonder about her!!
There is a storming going through there and she is not on her PC.
I told her I would give you all the heads-up that she is fine!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Thanks Shirl.

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
GOOD!! thumbup

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Whew.....I knew she wasn't really near, but I know she was about an hour from the Amtrak station in St Paul/Minneapolis.

Glad to hear that she's at home and fine.

Still very sad for all the families/people involved in this tragic event. I mean I go across a bridge near here that is close to a mile long. I never even thought about it just collapsing and it's an old bridge. Something you wouldn't expect.

#101532 Aug 1st, 2007 at 08:17 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN UNEASY ON BRIDGES!!!!!!!!!! shock nervous

#101604 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 04:58 AM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I have family in the St. Paul area but most of them either don't drive or they rarely go to Minneapolis. I should call my grandparents and see if they heard about it and make sure everyone I know is fine. Reminds me of a movie I saw that was based on true events. Ever seen Mothman Prophecies? Scary.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Thank you Shirley for calling last night and letting everybody here know that I was okay. kissie

It is a terrible thing that happened. Right now there are 4 reported deaths and over 60 injured. They said there was at least 50 cars on the bridge when it collapsed. There was also a school bus full of kids but they are all okay. Coverage of this was on our local stations all night last night and we watched it almost the whole time. I couldn't believe what it! When I first saw it, I said to James....where is this?...when he told me Minneapolis I couldn't believe it. Nothing like this has EVER happened here before. We don't have earthquakes here so it isn't something you would expect. I read somewhere that somebody thought maybe a barge hit a support. The only supports on this bridge were on the edges of the river. It was one big arch going over the river. They didn't want to put any piers in the middle because they didn't want to slow down river traffic. The bridge has been there like that for 40 years. Hopefully they rethink it when they rebuild it.

#101751 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 10:29 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
This explains the bridge.

The steel-arched bridge, built in 1967, rose 64 feet above the river and stretched 1,900 feet across the water. It was built with a single 458-foot-long steel arch to avoid the need for piers that might interfere with river navigation.

#101755 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 10:40 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am really interested in their findings what caused the collapse.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #101767 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 10:52 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Me too Tina....me too.

#101779 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 11:40 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I am really interested in it too Tina!

#101785 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 11:52 AM
My guess its a structure failure. There was a report of lack of redundancy in the design, ie belt and suspenders scenario. There wasn't a second system set in place in case the main support failed. :(

We had structure problems in Milwaukee, WI with our expansion bridge but it had pier support and was able to be repaired.

This is so horribly sad.

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Here is an article from one of our local new station's website for those of you interested in following along with finding out how this happened.

Minnesota bridge inspectors found no structural flaws last year or the year before in the interstate bridge that collapsed into the Mississippi River in Minneapolis on Wednesday, Gov. Tim Pawlenty said.

"They notified us from an engineering standpoint the deck might need to be rehabilitated or replaced in 2020 or beyond, but no immediate or structural problems with the bridge," Pawlenty said at a news conference in Minneapolis.

Road crews had been working on the 40-year-old bridge's deck, joints, guardrails and lights this week, with lane closures scheduled overnight on Tuesday and Wednesday. The state Department of Transportation couldn't immediately say whether some lanes were closed when the bridge failed during the evening rush hour.

"None of it would be related to the structure," said Bob McFarlin, assistant to Minnesota Transportation Commissioner Carol Molnau, who was on her way back from a conference in China after being informed about the tragedy.

McFarlin said the road work was "routine, minor maintenance." The contract for the work was worth about $9 million. He said construction workers were on the bridge when it collapsed and not all of them had been accounted for.

The bridge was scheduled for another inspection this fall, he said.

A MnDOT timeline for construction projects slated the bridge for a replacement sometime between 2015 and 2023, at an estimated cost of $122 million, according to a 2008 transportation plan posted on the agency's Web site.

The eight-lane bridge was the first of its size to get a computerized anti-icing system in 2001, according to another report on the site. McFarlin said that system sprayed deicing chemicals on the road deck during certain winter weather conditions, the same chemicals that would otherwise be applied by road crews.

"It's not part of the structure of the bridge," he said.

State Senate Transportation Committee Chairman Steve Murphy said the condition of bridges in Minnesota generally has been a topic of concern, but he couldn't recall the Interstate 35W Mississippi River bridge coming up during those discussions.

"I know the work that many of the bridge inspectors do for the state of Minnesota, and we do really good work," said Murphy, DFL-Red Wing. "If they said that that bridge in 2006 was in good shape, I believe it was in good shape. What happened today, it's probably going to be weeks or months before we know."

The state Emergency Operations Center opened Wednesday evening in downtown St. Paul to offer state assistance to Minneapolis responders dealing with the tragedy, said MnDOT spokesman Kevin Gutknecht.

#101973 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 07:45 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thank you jess. please keep us updated as i do not have any form of tv in my house, and the internet/radio news will only follow this so long. i'd really like to know what happened.

#101982 Aug 2nd, 2007 at 07:59 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Thanks, Jessica. I'd like to hear more reports as they come up. It all doesn't make sense. And the TV news has already slacked off reporting much. But it sounds like the only thing to report right now is every department saying "It's not my fault" Like rambunctious kids standing around a broken lamp.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
#102389 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 01:22 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I will definitely keep all of you updated. They said on the news last night that it could take up to a year for the investigations to be completed. They are having a hard time getting the divers into the river to search for more missing people because there is so much debris in the river and the current is moving fast and it is just swirling. It was too dangerous yesterday afternoon to allow any divers in there. They also said that there is a list of all of the bridges in Minnesota along with their ratings. This bridge was listed as #43 which they said means that there are 42 bridges in worse condition in the state of Minnesota. They are supposed to be releasing that list to the public. That will be interesting to see.

#102394 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 01:26 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I found this article right after I posted that.

Federal officials said Thursday the investigation into the cause of the Interstate-35W bridge collapse could take a year or more. Officials intend to reconstruct the bridge, on its side, over time.

In the meantime, we are learning there may be more "deficient" bridges around the state.

Len Levine, a former transportation commissioner and now a national transportation consultant, says there are at least 1,000 bridges in Minnesota rated at the same level of "structurally deficient" and tens of thousands nationally, the result of stressed-out budgets everywhere.

Levine believes folks are doing the best they have with what they've got. But, the issue may be that institutional standards are too low.

KARE 11 found a list of "deficient" bridges in this state. There are many considered to be in worse condition than the one that ended up in the water Wednesday night.

This bridge was a particular concern because it's the grand-daddy of them all. Before last night, it carried more traffic than any other bridge in the state, over 100,000 vehicles a day.

This bridge has been on the state radar for years, and was ranked 'structurally deficient' since 1990. They upped the number of inspections from every-other-year to every year in 1993.

Just six years ago, in a report by the University of Minnesota, they went so far as to say "fatigue cracking of the deck truss is not likely." They said: "no problem for the foreseeable future. And, "MnDOT does not need to prematurely replace this bridge..because of fatigue cracking, avoiding the high costs associated with such large projects."

Clearly those conclusions were wrong.

Are our standards too low? Did someone miss something on the inspections? Were they just trying to do too much with too little? All questions many people are asking. Answers aren't likely to come soon or easily.

The I-35 Bridge is what engineers call a "non-redundant structure". That means if a single part fails, the whole thing collapses.

Another irony today - the governor actually used that word, redundancy, as he announced a host of independent investigations he's ordered.

"To parallel the work of state and federal investigations," Pawlenty said, "we want redundancy."

It would have been nice to have it on that 1967 bridge too.

Among the orders of the governor today is the immediate inspection of three other bridges in this state, built the same way the I-35 Bridge was. They include bridges in St. Cloud, near Sandstone and in Osceola. All of them cross rivers.

Also, there is a priority list of bridges in the state in need of replacement.

KARE 11 requested the list from MnDOT to learn which bridges they think were in even worse shape than the one that fell into the river. A MnDOT employee in the bridge maintenance division said that they consider that list non-public. When Governor Pawlenty was questioned about that today, he indicated the list will be made public.

#102396 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 01:27 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I also read that the divers were able to go in today. They have found 4 vehicles so far and there were no victims inside but they got license plate info to forward to the agencies working with the families. They know that there are many more vehicles down there that have to be searched but it could be days or weeks before they get to them all.

#102587 Aug 3rd, 2007 at 07:37 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
thank you so much for being our eyes and ears on this. i am anxious to see the other 42 bridges on that list.

500 Posts
500 Posts
yes it was bad have a friend that sent me pic's
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] and more just as bad

#113371 Aug 18th, 2007 at 02:03 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
those pictures are so much more "real" than the ones on the news.

#113483 Aug 18th, 2007 at 07:24 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i agree, these are much worse then what the media on tv showed, and now they seem more personal! POOR PEOPLE!

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
betty, i am hoping that the friend that sent you these was not near or on it when this happened?

500 Posts
500 Posts
Here are some more of the bridge
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Those pictures are amazing! Is your friend a professional photographer or does she just live in the area and went and snapped some pics? Sorry if I'm being too nosy, just curious.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image