Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101096 Aug 1st, 2007 at 10:04 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
My canna's are in my pond, happily growing like mad. Recently, I've noticed some strange holes in my leaves. It looks like someone took a hole punch, accordion folded the leaf, and punched. It really reminds me of the hungry, hungry caterpillar by eric carle. Any ideas what is doing this?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by LandOfOz; Aug 1st, 2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: posted same pic twice

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Those holes look pretty round...I remember reading about a bee that takes little circles from rose leaves, but can't quite remember the name of it. I love Eric's books, my teachers read them all to me when I was smaller

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I do have some groundnesting, leaf cutter bees nesting between some rocks and the driveway. I've never seen them attack the center of a leaf though, my experience has been the edges of the leaf, working inward. I'll keep an eye out and see if I see him/her working on them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Well, I'm not sure, but looking at the second picture, it doesn't happen to be anything to do with that sheepish-looking fellow in the red hat?

5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
lol I sure hope not. I always catch him sitting on a mushroom, petting a cute bird. Maybe it's just an act and he is the culprit.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
I had a similar empty dotted line on one of my plants. Something nibbled it while it was still rolled up. Personally, if the 'something' only eats that one leaf, I'm fine; I think it looks neat! Not that I want all my plant leaves sporting peek-a-boo holes, but one is garden character. :~)

Julianne
If it isnt him, or the bullet-holes left from a drive-by shooting by a jealous rival trying to assassinate him, then I wonder if it could be the very appropriately named 'Lesser Canna Leafroller' caterpillar, which, I learn, is common in southeastern United States and feeds only on plants in the genus Canna. 'The caterpillars fasten the edges of leaves before the leaves unroll or the caterpillars can roll up one side of an open leaf. Within this shelter, the caterpillars feed on the upper surface of the leaves, rarely chewing through the lower epidermis except when the caterpillar bores through the rolled leaves.'

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image