Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#100738 Jul 31st, 2007 at 11:25 AM
OP Offline
I´ve had most of my plants for at least a few years on the roof of my apartment in pots. I have a few yukas, some Jade trees, spider plants, a mini rose bush, a banana plant,hanging geraniums and standing ones also lots of succulents that I don´t know the names of. Trouble is the last few weeks the weather has become unbearable for me and for my plants which all seem to be dying very quickly. I don´t know if I´m watering them too much or too little. I´ve been watering every 2-3 days. Its been up to 50 degrees up there, but about 40 odd everyday. The leaves of some of the ferns are browning also the banana plant. The hanging geraniums look really bad and have lost most of their leaves and flowers,they are turning brown. The rose bush has got ants crawling all over it as does the Yuka next to it.....they are dying. The rose bush smells......My climbing ivy is also browning....I have a big plant that has a bulbous bottom with cascading leaves and now has flowering spikes so to speak that the bees seem to love, this has soo much white fly although I keep spraying it .It´s all going wrong, what used to be a thriving roof garden that friends used to always comment on is now looking soooo sad and unhealthy....... Please Please anyone can you help me.????

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
sounds like you're watering too much...most of what you have are succulents and they can handle the heat as well as dryness. watering every few days, even if it IS extremely hot, will keep the soil too soggy. jade do not like wet feet at all and watering too often can cause rot to happen. the same probably applies to the yucca too.

could you post some pics?

also, the temp that you stated, that's not in farenheit, is it?

Zone 6b
500 Posts
500 Posts
I had to move my plants too it has been like 104 here,
so this is where I moved alot of them and other hanging bk in house too
then when I think they need more sun are heat ,I put them bk out for a few day's
[Linked Image]
[[Linked Image]I[Linked Image]MG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i37/bettyboop1948/101_2751.jpg[/IMG]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,814
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image