Print Thread
Rate Thread
#100083 Jul 30th, 2007 at 10:35 AM
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
This is my gloriosia daisy
flowers/July272007closeupgerberdaisyflower.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>.I have quiet a few looking like this...so is this normal?I'm guessing they are sprouting cause we are so humid much of the time so they could get moisture from the air long enough to sprout.
another shot a few weeks back.
flowers/july62007gloriosiadaisywithhintofgr.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

and when they started blooming.was 3 store packs of mixed gloriosia daisys.I WS them.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The last is a shot of the largest flower out of all.I have one plant from seed from fall/spring fling.it just bloomed yesterday.looks like the last,but is shorter.

If they are indeed sprouting should I just pick the flowerhead and plant it?I've already planted one...out of curisity.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
It's a condition called "aster yellows". It affects coneflowers and other plants. You should cut off the affected parts so it doesn't spread.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Awww, That's such a shame -- I was hoping you were getting a bumper crop of babies, Njoy!

PG
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
alan, what causes this?? can anything be done to prevent it??

i had a few funky coneflowers last year...and i'm seeing it again this year!!

Zone 6b
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Almost all the heads are like that.Was store bought seed packs from dollar general..6 of them.Guess I'm safer tradeing huh.Their foliage looks fine& have been blooming about 3 months.another name is Phyllody.

Last edited by njoynit; Aug 1st, 2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
It's caused by a fungus. Cutting off the affected parts can keep it from spreading and also cleaning up around the plants, but nothing can really prevent it from happening again. Some of my purple coneflowers get it every year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
okay, thanks, alan.

i've noticed that the leaves are discolored also...would it be better just to pull the whole plant?? rather than just deadheading?

Zone 6b
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
That might be a good idea.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image