Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#33892 Apr 29th, 2007 at 12:07 PM
rtree Offline OP
OP Offline
My rubber plant is like jack and the beanstalk. It has already hit the 9 foot ceiling and keeps wanting to grow taller! It has just a long stalk, no branches. I'm afraid it's going to tip over or break. Can I cut the main stalk? And where can I cut it? Can I cut it where it is already growing bark? Will it branch more on the bottom if I remove some of the lower leaves? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

#33923 Apr 29th, 2007 at 02:09 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Rtree ~~~~Mine gets 8 to 9 ft maybe taller every spring and summer.. I'm sure it's because I take outside .. last year I had to cut the top of it off (to get inside!) and put it back in the soil! and yep it takes roots and grows and helps fill in where it just grows straight up,, this is a picture of last fall when I brought it back in. If it were straight up it would be near 8 foot ( can't find anything tall enough to support it any taller than 8 ft ~right now I have it tied to two long pieces of bamboo!) and I cut off at least a 2 1/2 ft piece . IF you look closely at the top of the door is 7 ft and it's higher than that! I don't have a current pic I usually record growth after spring and summer .. So I say all of that to say this .. don't be afraid to cut off the top and put back in the soil ~~ it will root and grow!!!! BTW I cut it off down closest to the leave where I want the top to be~ at a 45 degree angle about 1 inch from the leave and dipp the cut end in root tone before I place it in soil. thumbup

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
#34011 Apr 29th, 2007 at 05:56 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Triss - could you post a picture of your rubber plant?
I've always called the ones like Diane's rubber plants, but maybe in different areas other plants are called that too?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #34023 Apr 29th, 2007 at 06:18 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
triss, is your's a pepperomia? they are sometimes called "baby rubber plants" because the leaves and stalks are rubbery.

#34029 Apr 29th, 2007 at 06:33 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Jiffy - I was wondering the same exact thing!

Triss - could we please see a picture of yours?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#34119 Apr 29th, 2007 at 08:46 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I don't currently have a rubber tree. But when I did, I cut it back drastically. It will only benefit it by encouraging branching out and a generally fuller look.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
#34556 Apr 30th, 2007 at 09:52 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
if you top off a rubber plant and the part below where you cut has no leaves, will it still branch out?

Zone 6b
Joclyn #34956 Apr 30th, 2007 at 07:36 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
usually. alternately, the roots will send up new "trees"

#35003 Apr 30th, 2007 at 08:28 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I can't bear to cut below the lowest leaves. I'm so sure I will kill something. You can cut down to the lowest leaves, even if it is not as short as you would like it. Then when it develops new leaves/branches below that (hopefully) cut again until you have the size you want. At least cut off the very top to encourage lower growth.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #35950 May 1st, 2007 at 07:09 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'd leave 2 sets of leaves, and then also nick the bark right below a leaf node to try to encourage grow/branching there. i'd also plant the cuttings!

#36061 May 1st, 2007 at 09:45 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
does it matter if there's still a leaf on the node? my plant is just leaves at the top - and only 4 of them. i'd like it to be more full (it's lost the other 4-5 leaves over the couple of years i've had it...hasn't had too much growth at the top either).

Zone 6b
Joclyn #36491 May 2nd, 2007 at 04:41 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you can nick it right under one of the lower leaf node, but a bigger question is where is it (sun/draft/etc) and what are your watering practices?

#36528 May 2nd, 2007 at 05:48 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
it's in a north/northwest facing window and did well the first couple of years. i was watering a little less than every 2 weeks...had consistant new growth at the top. not a lot of new growth - it would put out a new leaf every now and then (and would lose one at the bottom)...with my broken foot last fall, i couldn't keep up the watering properly and that is definitely part of the problem at the moment. it's lost 3 leaves recently.

i repotted it when i bought it - haven't since. i think it might be time for that too.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #36531 May 2nd, 2007 at 05:56 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'd repot, get the watering under control, and maybe move it to a more lighted spot. north/northwest is good, but northwest/west would be better. they can actually take (and take off with) full sun. i had one on the porch all summer last year 'cause it had scale, and i didn't want it on my other plants. then, i let it freeze rspb

#36613 May 2nd, 2007 at 09:58 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i thought only the burgundy one could take full sun?! all the info (on the tag and what i researched online - that search may have been the one that led me here, lol) says that they should have shade/indirect light. that's why i put it where i did...

technically, at the moment (until the earth rotates a bit more), it's actually straight-on west right now. only gets sunlight in the late, late afternoon - just as the sun is setting and once the tree out front leafs out completely and the rotation happens, it'll be back to north/northwest.

it's just about 3 years, so i guess repotting would be in order. i haven't fed it for a long time, too (that darn foot) so that's needed at this point too.

i can move it to another room. one has morning sunlight - either direct or i could put it in a spot that's not right in front of the windows. the other room would be more afternoon sun - either right at the window or set back a bit.

which would be best? and, thanks for the help, jiffy!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #36869 May 3rd, 2007 at 07:45 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I put mine outside each summer and it grows a good bit---but it's in morning sun, until about 11am or so, then full shade.

I rescued it from a grocery store years ago for 4.99 on clearance....I just love rescuing plants.

Let me dig out a pic of it smaller, and then a recent one.

The past 2 years it hasn't dropped one leaf when I bring it inside for the winter. I moved it to a high sunlight spot and it's done so well there!

#36878 May 3rd, 2007 at 08:03 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Here it was a few months after I rescued it! Already a decent size but a lot smaller than it is now.

[Linked Image]

Here it is now 3 years later....hard to tell, but it's a lot bigger than it was.

[Linked Image]

#36900 May 3rd, 2007 at 08:34 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i can see the difference in the size, loz.

i've never put it outside because everywhere is very sunny. the back porch would probably be okay tho - it gets morning to mid-day sun so that would probably be okay.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #36907 May 3rd, 2007 at 09:03 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That would probably work out great. I have to remember to water mine a heck of a lot more in the summer with it being outside since it dries out so fast.

In the summer I can almost hear it whisper "thank you" when I put it outside in the fresh air! lol

rtree #99532 Jul 29th, 2007 at 08:39 AM
LOL! About three years ago my parent brought me down a small indoor rubber plant that they were having a hard time growing indoors in their house in Virginia. I had just bought a house in Miami and they figured it might fare better down here. It was about 2-3 feet tall. Three years later... talk about Jack and the Beanstalk! It is now about 25 feet tall and 10-15 feet wide and has taken over a corner of my yard! It is giant, still growing, and I don't know how to stop it! (actually a little afraid of it now! zoink ) I have a pic, but am not sure how to attach it to this thread.

rtree #100331 Jul 30th, 2007 at 06:25 PM
I have also recently acquired a 7ft tall rubber tree. How do you take care of this plant? The middle of the stalk is bare and some of the leaves are turning yellow. Any pointers?

Jeremiah 29:11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image