Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
5 Images
Patriot
10k Posts
Remember when I mentioned that 601 S, the road in front of

my house, is going to be widened? Well, it's started. This is the view today ,12/2/07,from my front door. We put in this little hill and all the trees 5 years ago. They are holly trees and Arizona cypress. They were all in 1 gallon cans. Now the cyrpress are at least 20 feet tall. They're going to be taken by the right of way for the road.

Part of our driveway will be gone too so we thought we'd light it up for Christmas one more time.
9 Comments
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
ohhhhhhhhh, that is awful!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm sorry you have to have this going on. Was it actually your property and are you being compensated? Or was it a right of way the whole time? It makes me heart-sick for you anyway.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oh Sheri that really BITES....I hate that for you, I know I'd be so mad if that happened to me and there was nothing I could do about it..... tears

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Oh, Sheri... I'm so sorry they are doing this to you.

Is there any way that you could move those trees to another place?
I can imagine how upset you are!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
It's our property. We're supposed to be compensated in some way but we're not sure about that. The trees are way too big to move I think. We're not mad. The highway needs to be widened. It's the most dangerous road in NC so they say.

Thanks for the concern though.

Last edited by Bestofour; Dec 7th, 2007 at 10:45 PM.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I don't know how I missed this topic, sorry.

If the trees are on your property they have to compensate you for each and every one of them plus the land costs.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by tamara
I don't know how I missed this topic, sorry.

If the trees are on your property they have to compensate you for each and every one of them plus the land costs.

that is the theory tamara, but it doesn't always happen. we can hope though. and sheri, won't it make your property taxes go down, less acarage?

oh, Im sorry for the hassle. Do they have a plan? Have you seen the projected pix? Check it out cause it could ruin your yard/view. They did a huge road project by my friends house and it turned out for the better for her.
good luck with that!

I love my garden
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I don't think it will make our taxes go down because from what we've heard when this road is widened commerical businesses are going to want to buy land so taxes will probably go up. There isn't a fast food restaurant on 601 for hundreds of miles. Because it has been zoned residential there are only so many road accesses (driveways) that are allowed and we don't have city or county water. There isn't much land to purchase in Union County. We're constanly getting offers to buy our land. After the highway comes through we may sell out.

As far as our view. We will be sitting up 10 feet off the road. The hill in front of our house is going to be flattend out so our driveway will be going up a hill and our house will be at the top.

You know we've been in such a drought. I noticed this morning that those trees are turning brown and some of the branches are drooping.

It's going to be a mess for 2 years but it's progress.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image