Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello Garden Gurus!

I hope you folks can help me, because I'm TOTALLY confused by beans! This year I grew Scarlet Runners basically for the flowers (which is good, because I got ONE bean!) and an heirloom Italian bush bean called Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco. I planted it in a pot on the patio and it didn't get enough sun - got only a handful of beans but they were delicious!

This is my question, as I start planning next year's garden I find references to pole beans, bush beans, dried beans, filet beans, mung beans, fava beans... but I can't find any guide as to the differences..

Okay, I know pole beans are the kind that climb a pole - like Scarlet Runners - but do you eat the beans IN the pod or do you throw the pod away?

Bush beans are shrubby, right? Same question as above.

Dried beans... must be called that because they are good for drying, but can you eat them fresh? Is the pod edible?

Filet? Are those the "French Cut Green Beans" one gets frozen or tinned?

How do you know when bean are ready? I picked the Italian ones when I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to taste them! LOL!!

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks so much!
:)

Last edited by thistledown; Sep 27th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Your questions made me chuckle! Good ones, but you're right-- it is hard to find all of the answers to your questions in one place if you don't already know the answers! So hopefully we can help. Answers in blue.

This is my question, as I start planning next year's garden I find references to pole beans, bush beans, dried beans, filet beans, mung beans, fava beans... but I can't find any guide as to the differences..
What you have here is a bunch of terms describing different characteristics of beans, and some different sorts of beans. As you say, pole vs. bush describes the "habit" of the whole plants-- whether or not to grows basically as a vining plant, or as a bush. Although you can let pole beans wander all over the ground, typically they are staked in some way or otherwise encouraged to grow upward. Filet beans are a kind, a variety of bean; filet refers to the thin green bean and is commonly called a French green bean-- you eat the pod before the beans (the seeds) have developed. Mung beans are another "green bean" but it is the bean inside the pod that's typically eaten. Fava or broad Winsor beans are only distantly related to the classic green bean. Here again you eat the bean inside the pod (which is actually inside two pods.

Okay, I know pole beans are the kind that climb a pole - like Scarlet Runners - but do you eat the beans IN the pod or do you throw the pod away?

Leaving fava beans aside, you can pretty much eat any bean at any time. But of course, some taste better at different stages than others. Many beans that are grown for the bean-- again, the seed inside the pod-- can be eaten before the bean matures, like a classic green bean. "Pole bean" can refer to either a "fresh bean" (the kind you eat before the seed develops) or a "dried bean".

Bush beans are shrubby, right? Same question as above.

Dried beans... must be called that because they are good for drying, but can you eat them fresh? Is the pod edible?

Yes. Bean seeds develop inside a seed pod. As above, some varieties are grown to eat the pod & all (think about snap peas-- same idea), and some, "dried beans" are grown to eat just the bean. (But see above, you can eat immature pods of dried beans.) You can eat "dried beans" any time after the seeds develop. So, you can pick for example, black eyed peas (really a bean) when the peas are fresh, meaning they haven't dried out. You can freeze them fresh-- they'll be green not brown. Or you can wait until the pods have dried out, and the seeds inside the pods have changed from green to brown. In this case, you'd store them dry (just like a bag of dried beans you'd buy at the store).

Filet? Are those the "French Cut Green Beans" one gets frozen or tinned?

How do you know when bean are ready? I picked the Italian ones when I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to taste them! LOL!!

This depends on what variety of beans you have, and when you want to eat them. If you have classic green beans, you pick them before the seeds inside the pod can be felt when you run your fingers along the pod. If you have dried beans-- either fresh or really dried-- you pick them when you can feel the seeds inside, and when the pod seems to have filled out.

About the pods-- don't forget to compost the pods if you are only eating the seeds!!

Good luck! You can't really make too many mistakes with beans!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
OP Offline
Thank you Marica!

This is JUST the info I was hoping for! It may seem like a weird time of year for this sort of question, but I'm at the stage of assessing my successes and failures this year and planning next year's seed purchases!

I'm copy/pasting your response into my garden file!

Thanks again!
:)

Work like you don't need the money.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Actually-- I think it would be good if more people did what you're doing, assessing this year's garden while it's still fresh in your mind so you can adjust your next year's plan accordingly. I even keep records of how much I harvest, and John keeps records how of much we preserve (and how long it lasts into the winter) so I can fine tune.

Anyway-- good luck!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image