Register Today!
Welcome to the A Gardeners Forum forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and access to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#296435 - 09/30/2009 at 07:41 PM Red Blood Oxtail
Skyler Offline

I have a plant called "Red Blood Oxtail". It sort of looks like a 3 leaf clover with pointed ends. It is a deep burgundy color with a dark pink center. I tried to put an image with this e-mail but I don't have the software required to do so for this website. I purchased this plant (3 2" pots) years ago. I put them all into one pot. I have separated this plant several times into other pots and given them away. I have 2 pots left and need to separate them once again. I can probably get 4 or 5 plants from these two.

These plants have long thin stems. They need to be supported. This is my delima. I used to be able to purchase stakes (triangular shape, lattice like) that I could put in the pot to support the plant. I have not been able to find them anywhere. Does anyone know where I might get them. Without them the plants droop over the pot and as a result, I lose a lot of the plant. The stems have to be supported. I've tried string (cuts into the stem). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Joan

Sponsored Links

#296708 - 10/04/2009 at 08:17 PM Re: Red Blood Oxtail [Re: Skyler]
rosie_jane Offline

I"ve had the same problem. I am temporarily using some old chopsticks formed into a cross.
you could get some dowels from a hardware store, cut to sizes you need and wrap the joins with string or wire... (maybe glue too for permanency?)

I also found these neat decorative wooden stems at IKEA that i'm going to cut up and use as supports for climbers. perhaps you could find something kinda like a lattice... Michaels craft store?

Shot at 2009-10-04

or- if you have any outdoor gardening fence (the green kind) you could cut that up into whatever size you needed and form it. it might need some supports

Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in June
Gardening in July
Gardening in August

Visit us on Facebook
Shout Box

Forum Stats
15,875 Members
65 Forums
13,644 Topics
208,347 Posts