Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
My Neighbor repeatedly is spraying weed killer on my rose of sharon shrubs, and even went as far as to cut it with a knife and spray weed killer in the wound. We confronted him on it and he stopped at first, but now it seems the weed killer seeps into our lawn (which is perfectly fine by the way) but affects this shrub only.

I want to nkow how we can prove he is doing this still.

Also, the shrub doesnt even look like a rose of sharon anymore, and, it has a weird habit. All the rose of sharons have small blooms right now, but mine, already appears to have pistol and stamen growing, WITHOUT a bud or petals! It's the most bizzare thing, and bees are starting to visit it for pollen! It's like for some reason the poison affected normal growth, yet the plant is very much alive! Look for yourself!
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I wonder what he used on it? I haven't a clue to what could cause this. Or if he is still doing it. But a poison that seeps into the ground is not a good thing at all. Even Roundup alters its chemistry when it gets into the ground and turns into normal stuff found there.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Keith-- ?? What is there to say? Do you know what kind of weed killer he's using?

If I were an alarmist (which I am only when I'm being paranoid), I also be concerned for the bees.

I'm sorry, I have nothing to offer by way of explanation for what's going on to your rose of sharon. I take it you do not have a good relationship with this neighbor. Is there a property line dispute or something else motivating him?

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Our driveway and the side of his house are seperated through an "invisible line" and the rose of sharon is a perfect indicator of where the 2 sides end, and he wanted us to remove it and we refused because it's on our side. We had it for over 20 years and dont want to remove it the plant had gorgeous flowers and our neighbor hates flowers he removed every living plant from his property except grass. He did a similar thing to his other neighbor but they yelled at him and he left them alone after, my parents however are no the type to speak up.

Besides him, is the plant really producing petal-less flowers? Could I expect seed pods? I will leave the plant in even if it dies just to spite my neighbor.

I have no idea what he uses, but he has 3 dogs who roll around in his yard so he is VERY stupid for doing it when they can get sick.

Last edited by KeithP; Jun 19th, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have no answers for you, there, Keith.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
So how long ago did this creep move in next door? You've been there for 20 years, so sounds like the previous people were ok. Is there enough room to build a fence? Don't really know if that would help, but he wouldn't be able to see you plants. You should keep a record and take pictures of what is happening. Isn't it a sad day when we cannot get along.

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Check for thrips and aphids...
they both can suck the juices out your plant...can cause flowers and leaves to come out deformed.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image