Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#236666 Oct 4th, 2008 at 02:40 AM
pnmrr Offline OP
OP Offline
I planted my first garden this year, everything went ok. But what do I do now, I want to rototille and I am sure I should pull out all of the plants but can I leave the bad tomatoes, cucumbers and such in the garden when I till it up.

pnmrr #236933 Oct 5th, 2008 at 02:07 PM
Hi pnmrr,

I'm just about done also for the season, all I have now are some lettuce and carrots that I'll keep right up to the end into late fall/early winter in one side of the garden.

I had a nice dry and sunny day today so I brough in most of the last years mulch and I just finished tilling it in 90% of the garden space.

I like to get this done in once in the fall and then again in the spring when soil is dry enough to work in it this way I can expose those cut worms and check for any other bugs etc. that found a home there and will be a big problem next year with the young plants. So far the number today was 15 cutworms in a one foot deep till and that's a good number for my size garden.

I like to set aside an away from the garden site all the old plants and fruits for the compost pile and use them in next years garden. Keep the material moist and turn it over as often as you can.

Best of luck to you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,860
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image