Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#342575 Mar 14th, 2011 at 07:21 PM
OP Offline
Hi I am new to your forum but hope to be able to call on you folk when I need advice.We have just moved to lovely Tasmania and the house we are wanting to buy has a number of fruit trees growing there which we are delighted with However there is also a beautifuul kiwi fruit vine growing over the water tank but I have been informed you need both male and female vines for it to bare fruit,this is where I am lost as I do not know how to tell girl from boy.Can any one please advice what I need to do to find out what sex we have now?
Many thanks and look forward to a reply.

rubytuesday #342620 Mar 16th, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Kiwi

A kiwi is an edible fruit that comes from a vine. It grows quickly and makes a beautiful ornamental plant. Kiwi vines are dioecious, meaning a male and female vine are needed in order to pollinate. Both have central tuffs with stamens. However, female kiwi flowers have no viable pollens. The best way to determine a female from a male is through its flowers. On a male kiwi, the flowers will have petals with a ring of short structures. One male will be able to pollinate eight females. Source: eHowdotcom

Pictures of Kiwi male flowers here.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
rubytuesday #342657 Mar 17th, 2011 at 02:48 PM
OP Offline
Thanks so much for the info I shall have to wait till it flowers before I can sex it.Again many thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image