Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9680 Mar 31st, 2007 at 06:44 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It recovered!!! I was worried because when I first received it several of the branches were broken and for awhile it was going brown from the tip down. But now, it has two new leaves forming. I am so excited. I've wanted one of these for quite awhile. THANKYOU! njoynit for sending it to me.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #9733 Mar 31st, 2007 at 08:54 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Tk~~ I'm happy to hear your epi has bounced back!~ They are pretty resilient.
Last summer Njoynit sent me one too. One of the pieces her dog had gotten hold if and a couple of months later I got a bloom on it!!! I told her the doggy juice helped it along. LOLOL. Njoynit has epi's and brumansia's all over the country now!!! Isn't she great!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #9758 Mar 31st, 2007 at 10:49 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
It is so exciting when you can bring a plant back from the brink of death. I think that is why I am always rescuring plants at the big box stores.

I do not want to hijack your post but......I am getting some cuttings in a trade. How do you root them? Do you have to wait 20 yrs to see a bloom? Thank you.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #9932 Mar 31st, 2007 at 04:12 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I don't know anything about them yet so I'm no help with your questions. I hope someone will answer.

[Linked Image]
cinta #10016 Mar 31st, 2007 at 04:54 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by cinta
It is so exciting when you can bring a plant back from the brink of death. I think that is why I am always rescuring plants at the big box stores.

I do not want to hijack your post but......I am getting some cuttings in a trade. How do you root them? Do you have to wait 20 yrs to see a bloom? Thank you.

Nooooo It doesn't take 20 years to bloom! :shck: Most times about 3 years unless you get a piece that is very mature and already has roots,, Just stick it in root tone and then in the soil and it roots on it own, some people like it to callous over fist which may take a few days or a couple of week But I go straight for the root tone and soil~ any way it has rooted for me this way and I never let it dry out~ but don't keep it overly moist either..., and they like to be root bound, . I planted mine in a mix of orchid mix with coconut bark and spagnum peat moss mixed with 1/3 part cactus succulent soil with horticular charcoal in the bottom of pot, and placed in a small pot. Keep in dappled sun, no direct sun unless it's early morning.

this may help you with different recommendations of starting and soils...,

http://www.ecology.org/orchids/EpiCare.html

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #10077 Mar 31st, 2007 at 05:34 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Thank you. I am getting a lot of cuttings so I will try your way and the other. To see which works. I had heard people have had them for many years and never got flowers. So I thought maybe it takes 20 years or more especially since I would have to have it inside in the winter.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #14279 Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:16 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
They like it cool in the winter.you just protect from frost.I only watered mine 2 times over the winter.I'm hanging them on north side of house this year.I've also got my eye on 3 epi's in Logee's catalog.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #14383 Apr 4th, 2007 at 11:41 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
my epi is growing new leaves(?) There are three of them so far. This is really cool. I have the orchid mix and the succullent mix but I'm afraid to mess with it since it is finally growing. I guess I should though. I'll try to muster up the courage.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #14877 Apr 5th, 2007 at 06:46 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I mustered up the courage and transplanted it today. And guess what...the leaf that I had stuck in the soil per njoynits instructions has rooted. I'm so pleased. So the little leaf got it's own little pot and the big one now has the correct of mix for the soil. Of course when it comes time to repot the orchids I'll have to get more orchid mix but that's ok. I'm loving this. I'm so happy it is doing well on top of the entertainment center. I love having a plant there.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image