Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#4693 Mar 26th, 2007 at 05:53 PM
OP Offline
Does anyone know a hearty cactus (around 50F) that grows fairly large and is somewhat common?

earthjunkie #4701 Mar 26th, 2007 at 06:00 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Do you want it for outside or inside and what zone are you in??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #4981 Mar 26th, 2007 at 09:24 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Most cacti will do well down to ~50F. Some are quite frost tollerant. It's dampness they can't take, and cold damp is a sure killer. I have many cacti that I keep outside all winter in an unheated coldframe thing here in zone 4/5. They don't need the protection for warmth, just to keep the snow and rain off them. Not all can take that much cold, but a dry 50 is not a problem. What do you mean by fairly large or somewhat common? Are you trying to identify one you've seen or buy one for a particular location?

May God bless the WHOLE world!
margaret e. pell #6094 Mar 27th, 2007 at 01:24 PM
OP Offline
I plan to keep it inside, but in a colder part of the house, where it could get down to around 50F. It is dry enough for a cactus to survive (I have several there already).

Somewhat large means getting up to around 5 or so feet tall. I have no particular cactus in mind.

earthjunkie #7396 Mar 28th, 2007 at 02:06 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Ok, I've had fun checking into this, and here are my suggestions. Carnegiea Gigantea (saguaro) and/or Oreocereus Celsianus or Trollii (old man of the Andes/Peru). Both will get larger than you want, but that will be your children/grandchildren's problem. Both are redilly available as small plants and grow relatively quickly. Cacti are not known for speedy growth, so you are not going to get your 5 foot plant in the next few years unless you pay for a larger plant up front. They will want a LOT of sun. Other plants that will get to the size you want (but may take decades to get there): genus Cereus or and of the ones ending in cereus (Lophocereus, Pachycereus, Stenocereus, ..., just not Echinocereus, as they stay small), several of the Ferocactus (Cylindraceus, Herrerae, and Wislizeni - these are the barrel cacti, and will take a very long time to get even a few feet tall, but your great grandchildren will enjoy them!), Echinopsis Peruvianus, and Harrisia Justbertii.
Miles Anderson, who has written a bunch of books about cacti, has a site with good pics of what small plants of these kinds look like. I get most of my cacti from him. He's also just had his first child and is being very cute about it. Anyway, good luck!

http://www.miles2go.com/index.html

margaret e. pell #8373 Mar 29th, 2007 at 01:26 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
P.S. Have you ever thought about an aloe? (I think of them often!) A. Marlothii, Ferox, and/or Lineata might suit your requirements nicely, as would some others. For pics/info/plants check here:
http://www.aloestudies.org/index.html

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image