Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#287732 Jun 30th, 2009 at 01:02 AM
OP Offline
For some odd reason, I have begun to love spider plants. Maybe an obsession. It has become my favorite plant. Well so far, but I was wondering if anyone out there know how many different varieties/ species of spider plants there are? flwr

goldenchild #287760 Jun 30th, 2009 at 09:42 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I hadn't thought about it, but I'm thinking one is solid green and one variegated, and that's the extent of my knowledge.
I don't have one yet, but plants that multiply so easily are great.
I like the idea that you can just keep taking cuttings and getting more free plants.

dave
peppereater #287805 Jun 30th, 2009 at 04:05 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
there is a solid green one, a green with the white in the middle, and a white with a green stripe in the middle. that is all i'm aware of.

#287853 Jun 30th, 2009 at 11:36 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Hello:
This is what I found with a few searches on the internet. I hope this helps some
All I did was type in "spider plant varieties"

1)"Laxum". This variety is called "Chlorophytum c. laxum"
2)Orchid spider plant (Chlorophytum orchidastrum)
3)‘Milky Way’ has leaves with green margins and a broad white to cream center, creating a much lighter overall appearance than other cultivars.
4)‘Vittatum’ has dark green leaves with a wide, creamy white stripe down the center of each leaf. It tends to be slower growing than the green types.
4a)Bonnie" Chlorophytum comosum var Bonnie. Bonnie is a variety of Vittatum.
5)‘Variegatum’ has relatively broad green leaves with white margins. This cultivar tends to produce fewer plantlets than other types.
6)‘White Stripe’ has a narrow white to cream line down the central leaf vein that is lost as the leaf ages. The flower stalks are cream to yellowish instead of the normal green.
7) Reverse Spider Plant, Chlorophytum comosum var Pictoratum, dark green leaves with bright yellow edges. 6 & 7 may be the same one???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #287863 Jul 1st, 2009 at 04:23 AM
I have the plant with solid green leaves and it produces a ton of babies. I am having such good luck with it I can't believe it. I would like to know if I send and babies in the mail, how do I do that? How do you keep them alive and not crushed?

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
wrap the "root" part of the baby in a very wet paper towel. Then cover this with a ziploc bag, squeeze out the air and then wrap the bag tight and tape it thus keeping the woisture in the bag so it will not dry out. find a disposabel container that the baby plant or cutting will fit into. seal the plant up in theis using dry paper towels as padding. Tape the containet closed if there is ANY chankce it will open.
NOW: pack this container in a box or carefully cover this container with brown paper and send the [ackage. I would send any plants priority so it is enroute as short a time as possible.

________

OP Offline
How old is your plant and what are you doing to get it to produce a lot of babies?

Everyone has to do their part, so please remember to Recycle !
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ScottSammons
I have the plant with solid green leaves and it produces a ton of babies. I am having such good luck with it I can't believe it. I would like to know if I send and babies in the mail, how do I do that? How do you keep them alive and not crushed?

How much are you selling your babies for?

Everyone has to do their part, so please remember to Recycle !
JunieGirl #287979 Jul 1st, 2009 at 02:45 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
wrap the "root" part of the baby in a very wet paper towel. Then cover this with a ziploc bag, squeeze out the air and then wrap the bag tight and tape it thus keeping the woisture in the bag so it will not dry out. find a disposabel container that the baby plant or cutting will fit into. seal the plant up in theis using dry paper towels as padding. Tape the containet closed if there is ANY chankce it will open.
NOW: pack this container in a box or carefully cover this container with brown paper and send the [ackage. I would send any plants priority so it is enroute as short a time as possible.

I made it clear that the plant itself does not get put in the bag--just the part with the paper towel on it, OK???? Thebn the whole plant gets put into the disposable container---, and proceed

A friend of mine does it this way and it works great

________

JunieGirl #287982 Jul 1st, 2009 at 03:30 PM
They grow rapidly, and in the other spider plant thread I explained my way of growing them if you would like to look.

If you want one, I can ship it priority mail if you paid postage and no cost for the plant. ($5)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image