Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I found a place with so many wild roses growing, and wanted to have 1 plant for my garden. The flowers are small,white,5 petals, and have a yellow center. Most of the plants are about 2-3 feet high with very thin stems that flop over. They are growing in a semi-shaded area and are crowded so I think if one was planted in a garden with lots of room the stems would be much thicker and I can make them whatever shape I wanted. I think it's a Wild Dog rose (white flower)

I want to know if they will still flop over (meaning they need to climb along something) or if they can be grown like a bush shape. I also want to know how often they should be pruned, and if they can be left in a pot all year round since they have survived in the wild without any human help)

Also how long does it take for them to get flowers after being grown from seed? 1 year,2,3?

Last edited by KeithP; Jul 10th, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
No real need to grow from seed, the root readily from cuttings or layering. As to shaping, anything you want to do is fine, they take well to being left natural or to sever pruning, or anything in between.

dave
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok so what I did was I cut some small branches from a larger rose bush by the root, each smaller plant has a large root and some smaller roots. I put them in pots with root growing soil, are keeping them well watered, and in a cool,shady place so they dont dry out. Does this sound like it's good?

The have 1 single anchor root going either left or right, with some tiny feeder roots. Looks like this, will they be ok?
[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
they should be fine.

Once it becomes established, it may be invasive, but
using edging around it should prevent that problem.
It does need its space, however, if you want an attractive
self-supporting bush. Like, at least about three feet square.
You see, a bush will be made up of several individual two
foot canes.

Here's a shot of mine; it backs up against a hedge:

[Linked Image]
Rosa carolina Pasture rose

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW, yours looks great!!! I hope mine will become as beautiful as yours.

I only have 1 small single plant right now, but if I decide to get any more i'll space them at least 3 feet apart.

I guess the roots under the ground will sprout new stems like trees get suckers.
Can I cut these away to the ground and just "trim" the original stem of the rose for more branches like traditional roses, or do I have to keep the "suckers" for it to develop?

Good luck, then, but be advised each of those canes you
set out will start its own thicket by sending out underground
runners, or suckers, with each cane bearing about three or
four flower stems. The only pruning needed is removal of dead
canes annually. Its growth characteristic is similar to that
of the raspberry, which is related,also being in the rose family.

A three foot square bed is enough space to grow a six feet wide thicket.
But I emphasize using edging or else your thicket will keep
on spreading.

Its red rosehips attract birds during winter.

Summer: [Linked Image]
(There's a Nanking Cherry bush in the middle of that thicket.)

Winter:[Linked Image]

This thicket started as a single cane about eight years earlier.

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Those pictures were most helpful! Thanks for all your help and advice!

I have discovered that the inexpensive rose bushes you can buy at Wal-Mart or K-Mart or other discount stores (for $2.59 or $3.59 each) do just as well if not better than the more expensive roses you can buy at a greenhouse. I’ve had one particular rose bush for nine years now. It was a “Wal-mart special,” and each year, it grows bigger and taller and has more blooms. It starts getting flowers in the middle of the summer, and then it blooms again in September.

floriestinchennai

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thats wonderful.

I got a free mini one from a friend last year it grew great ..Now see what happens come spring.

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Amend the soil before planting and test the soil for pH. If the soil test reveals a pH below 6.0, mix lime with the soil and if the pH of the soil is above 6.5, mix peat moss. Plant the wild roses in front of a fence so that they can climb. Keep in mind that wild roses lose their leaves in the winter, but do not die down to the soil level. Therefore, plant them in an area where they will not end up accidentally mowed down come fall.

Water the wild roses generously after planting. Use a soaker hose that will provide deep watering. Keep the soil moist around the wild roses for the first growing season, watering at a rate of 1 inch per week. Once established, the wild roses will only require watering during droughts.

Prune dead wood from the wild roses after the winter thaw, your wild roses will probably experience some die-back on the tips of their stems. Simply cut this dead wood off with a pair of pruning shears in the spring. http://bit.ly/rWtsus this like will provide you more info on growing beautiful roses.

Last edited by Jean_Smith; Dec 8th, 2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
you all inspired me even if the post is older.

I stopped at the wildrose in my area and snipped off a good cutting. It is now residing in a pot on my deck. Cross your fingers for me.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
here are two pictures of the wild rose cutting. It's acting like it can't get to the water. I didn't pinch the end that is to root and I used a 45 degree angle on the cut so it should be able to absorb water. Any ideas?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The leaves are drawing energy from the stem faster than it can supply water. And they sweat, called transpiration. You want the energy into root production. The places where leaves have been removed, leaf buds, will make roots faster than any other part.
Take off more leaves until there are only 2-3 on top. Bury it deeper until only the top inch or so of twig is visible. Cover it with a clear plastic bag with something to keep the bag from touching the leaves, chopsticks or popsicle sticks or twigs, etc. Keep it in a shaded, sheltered location. Not in the dark but not in the sun either. And keep it evenly damp.
Good luck, TK.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks Tina. I'll go chop it.

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Chop?
Is the stem longer than the pot is deep?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Sorry what I chopped off was the branch and then put the stem deeper in the soil. The other branch has come back and is looking much healthier. And the plastic bag over the pot making a tent also seems to be working. Thank you again for the advise. I've got my fingers and toes crossed.

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Do the plastic bag thing any time you take a cutting. It is the best way to root things if you do not have a greenhouse. Rooting in water makes water roots and sometimes those don't transplant to healthy root systems in soil.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Initially check the soil with the PH between 6.0 and 6.5.Wild roses lose their leaves in the winter but they wont die. Provide a deep watering at least of 1 inch per week. Once established,the wild roses will only require watering at droughts.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image