Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#279823 May 12th, 2009 at 10:05 AM
OP Offline
So I've done some research and it looks like I have one of three possible pests on my broccoli:

cabbage worms, which are velvety green caterpillars (larvae of white butterflies); cabbage loopers, which are smooth and light green (larvae of brown moths); and diamondback worms, which are smaller in size and pale green in color (larvae of gray moths with diamond shape on back).

My question is, will they spread to my other vegetables? I have onions, lettuce, tomatoes, about 3 types of pepper plants and a strawberry plant.

Second question... It's been about 3 days since I went to look at my garden since it's been raining, I knew I wouldn't have to water the plants. So I went out today to find out if I needed to water. In those three days time, the worms have pretty much ate through all of the leaves on my broccoli plants. No heads of broccoli have started to grow yet... So what I want to know is... Are my broccoli plants done with? Or will heads still grow? Should I pull all of the eaten leaves off?

I plan on using a pesticide to remove the worms unless there is a quick herbal way to remove them. Should I spray the other plants around them with pesticides as well?

Please help me!!! This is my first year of gardening and I just want stuff to grow!!!

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Ask for a product called "bacillus thurengiensis" or Dipel. It's natural and nontoxic. the caterpillars will only spread to other cole crops or brassicas, cabbage, cauliflower, mustard, but not lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc.

Last edited by peppereater; May 12th, 2009 at 11:04 AM.

dave
OP Offline
What are the chances my broccoli pulls out of this and blooms? Any idea on what I should do with the damaged broccoli?

1k Posts
1k Posts
It may still be alright but you must spray the broc. fast. It wouldn't hurt to give your plants a good dose of fertilizer....something like 20-20-20 to give them a boost.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
OP Offline
I sprayed the broccoli with some stuff I had already (so it was almost a day after I posted) and the worms are gone. Should I get some liquid fert or just the stuff I already have in the bag? I think what I have is 24-8-16 though.

1k Posts
1k Posts
The fertilizer I use is mixed with water and is good as a top dresser with these plants as well. If you use the stuff you have in a bag just be careful that you don't sprinkle too much and burn out your plants. Just put a few granules beside each plant, or go with the instructions on the bag.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image