Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#390972 Feb 2nd, 2016 at 01:48 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone,
I've bought a fern plant in November and it's been doing fine up until the point I started having the heater on in the room where I keep the plant. It's on the other end of the room, in a shady place, but I suppose the dry air still affects it as it's dry and its leaves are falling off. I water it twice a week, the ground is almost always moist, and I also spray it, but nothing seems to be helping!
Should I repot it? I've cut the dry leaves off a couple of inches off the ground as well.

Please, if anyone's got any advice, I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you :)
[img]https://imgur.com/oqH7jau[/img]

CactusLady #390973 Feb 2nd, 2016 at 05:38 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome CactusLady.
Can you relocate the plant to a moister room? At least through the dryer months? There are a few other things you can try as well. Like a tray full of gravel of something under the pot you fill with water.
I live in the desert and I feel your pain.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #390978 Feb 3rd, 2016 at 04:15 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, all of the rooms in my house are air-conditioned, and if I was to move it to the balcony, it would be exposed to the sun. I didn't know about the tray of gravel trick. Might give it a go, thanks! :)

CactusLady #391155 Feb 16th, 2016 at 05:35 PM
I didn't have much luck with ferns because of this very problem, but not too long ago, I was thinking of starting up my plant collection again. Ferns love bathrooms and kitchens or rooms with higher humidity. Someone gave me one of those little fountains, wonder if you ran that in the same room if it would help? The other thing you could try is increasing your plant collection in the same room (well watered of course, that may help to raise the humidity in the room somewhat? Filling pottery bowls with decorator rocks and water and placing around the room may help. The soil you use can make a difference, so it doesn't dry out as quick. Make sure it has plenty of humus. If you want to make your own, 1 part top soil, 1 part humus and 1 part horticultural coarse sand. Best of luck.

DaisyM #392244 Apr 27th, 2016 at 07:22 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
All very good ideas, ladies. I think I would also try misting the ferns.

I would also think your small fountain would help, Daisy.

The high humidity rooms work really well.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
CactusLady #396747 Aug 23rd, 2017 at 10:34 PM
I read it in a blog:
"Avoid south and west-facing windows, as the intense sunlight may scald the leaves or fronds of the ferns, depending on the intensity of the light. Or they may dry out faster or scald the leaves if there is low moisture in the soil or air."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image