Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tina #384655 Oct 29th, 2014 at 08:03 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
It would be during power outages that it could be most useful to have alarms. Using alternative heating and/or cooking sources can be dangerous. I heat my house with wood and I feel the need to have the alarms. Both smoke and CO2 detectors.
This is a good conversation.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #384656 Oct 29th, 2014 at 08:32 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts

Yes it is a good conversation, we have both wired and battery detectors... they both have check buttons and ways to turn them off too..if they are set off accidently... of course you have to get a step ladder to do it in the hallways .. the ceilings are way to high for me to reach... not very handy in the middle of the night, of course that's when moths tend to get stuck in them and set them off... the wired ones anyway... do have to dust them out every so often
I had to laugh at hubby cause he is so conscientious about his old job- it was his job to program all the time changes in to the equipment... many different states, he did it ahead of time for this year ,, keep in mind he left in April.. so it will be done automatically ... so he left a message to be delivered in the spring to 6 different people to make sure it gets done again in the spring....

Nicoli and I did school today for hours ,, he was behind cause he hadn't felt well the last few days,,, we got a lot done though... do that is a good thing... and Timothy finally got his grade on his fort project,,, he got a 4 which is the highest grade... so that was worth it .... he did well.

Sunny hope your grandgirl is feeling better soon,, no fun when they are sick...

Our weather is starting to turn...getting colder every night... days are still fairly nice though- light jackets are needed , but still nice.... I do have a feeling it will change really soon and get cold... it's been way to nice so far,,, my roses are still blooming!

Well off to make something for dinner...

Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #384658 Oct 29th, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope you have a mild winter, Nana
Timothy deserved a good grade on that project.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384659 Oct 29th, 2014 at 01:08 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes Timothy DID deserve a good grade. I am glad that he got one.

I too hope YOU and ALL of us have a very mild winter.
However I fear we are not having any such thing.
I have heard the winters (in the Midwest at least) are going to be severe.
OH how I hope that is wrong.

G'nite, sleep tight everyone.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Tina #384660 Oct 29th, 2014 at 01:58 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
On the topic of Carbon Monoxide/Smoke Detectors, one that I've been looking at are the Nest Protect Smoke Plus Carbon Monoxide; they have both a wired-in and battery powered system. They can be networked together and give voice prompts as to what is happening when one is triggered and you can even have it alert your cellphone (it connects to the internet) when there is a problem.

There is a feature called "nest wave" that's now disabled by default that has a bug that you can see in the reviews, they'll replace them free if you buy a unit and it ends up faulty.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Tina #384661 Oct 29th, 2014 at 08:50 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. That looks like an interesting system, James. I prefer my simplistic one, I think. I am not so high tech. And I love that they will work even without electricity.
My cold is still hanging. But I think Thursday will happen anyway. And no one else in the house has caught it. So that is a bonus.
It looks like we will get some rain late tomorrow night. So the Halloween tots should get their dry evening.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384662 Oct 29th, 2014 at 09:07 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I need to get a CO2 detector. We have the regular battery operated alarms. My house is so small that they set off easily.

They are calling for a snowstorm this weekend...guess the fun is over. lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Tina #384663 Oct 29th, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope it is not a bad storm, Sunny.
We have to have a CO detector bt law here. But I plain like the idea anyway. And yes, if I fry something or turn my oven on, the smoke alarm nearest my kitchen often goes off. I often have to take it down and pull the battery so I can cook in peace.
Off to school now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384665 Oct 30th, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good Morning. Cleaning is the order of the day today.

Tina: That is the one I set off most often as well. We had a CO2 detector at the farm but not here. I must agree though I prefer simplicity myself. I can understand to replace a battery, or disconnect it if it does go off.

Sorry to hear about the snow storm, Sunny. here's hoping it will not be a big one. I think snow is pretty, when is not so deep and IF it stays off of the sidewalks & roads. Which it does not... rolz

Snow should fall Christmas Eve & be gone the 26th.

________

Tina #384668 Oct 30th, 2014 at 01:50 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Another good morning here. I got Ted to school and went to the bank for some cash. Then 2 stores and I filled my tank. Got all of that home and put away. I have dishes in hot dishwater right now. I'll go and clean those up in a minute. It is good to get things done when all I want to do is lay down.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384670 Oct 30th, 2014 at 02:50 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
still washing clothes here, but I am down to the baby items I need to have clean.

Supper is in the crock pot (beef for stir fry).
I am moving right along....

________

Tina #384674 Oct 30th, 2014 at 05:17 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
And I am home for the day. Yay! I need a nap but Jonni is napping on my napping sofa.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384675 Oct 30th, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
I think you need another napping sofa Tina.. or a bigger one!

It's been a long day here today- Carrie called me and said she had to go to work for the early shift.. so I got elected to go teach school...we got Nicoli all caught up... Carrie threatened him with no Halloween if he didn't cooperate and do it - and get it done... he was very cooperative today and worked hard.... he got a Grim Reaper costume and really wants to go trick or treating.. even though he knows he won't get to have most of what he gets candy wise... Carrie made a deal with him - for every piece he doesn't get to have he gets a dime... hard time of yr to not be allowed chocolate, any citrus or pineapple... or nuts...

Since I spent all day with the boys Joe is cooking tonit ... he is bbqing burgers... and he vacummed the whole house too... we will have the boys Sat night too- so Jon and Carrie can go out for her birthday dinner.... I have to go shopping sometime this weekend for my grandsons' girlfriends baby shower... it's the 15th.. so will be making a new blanket... she is due the end of January and the baby is a boy...

Well I am off to go take a hot bath- it is cold here and I can't get warm... this weather is changing almost over night - not good for this body of mine... we expect snow sometime soon....

Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #384676 Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yep, I said it before, and I'll say it again...You need 2 napping sofas Tina, Nana is right....that or You and Jonni need to work out a schedule....

Trick or treating is over for the night here. One more night & we are done for another year.

________

Tina #384677 Oct 30th, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I do have a couple of sofas. The second one is not in an optimal position.
I hope you get warm, Nana. Our mountains are to get a dusting of snow this weekend, I hope.
I think two Halloweens is a bit odd, Carol. I understand when communities want to move it to a weekend instead of a weeknight. But this is sort of opposite of that.
I did nap this afternoon. But this cold has me dragging. I'm looking forward to bedtime again.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384678 Oct 30th, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I agree about the two Halloween's as well, I had never heard of that until Junie mentioned it a few years ago. I do hope Nicoli gets treats that he can eat.

I'll take grandgirl out for a half hour when DH gets home from work. She is excited to go "trick and treatin'" lol

I have my fudge made and treats ready to go. I need to pile some wood today also if I can get the chance. We split the last of it last night.

Tina #384679 Oct 30th, 2014 at 09:51 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. Happy Halloween to all. It will be a good day and then rain overnight.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384681 Oct 30th, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
G' Morning !

When I was a kid, we could go Halloweening for 5 days. The 4 days before and The night itself. In my day most kids did not go the actual night as they were tired of it well before. I had candy/gum for months..it was grand.

Now days what with people going to family in different towns, 2 nights makes it much more manageable. Esp. when you factor in the Parades. The time is only from 6 to 8 pm, so it is not so bad really.

I was going to take the dog back home today but Emily is not feeling well so he (the dog) gets to stay here a few more days.

________

Tina #384683 Oct 31st, 2014 at 01:59 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I have an electric blanket on my bed so I don't waste my time on the couch. :)

I've asked this before and I'll ask it again. Why does a teacher send a student to the health room because he has a loose BABY tooth?

Bestofour #384689 Oct 31st, 2014 at 03:06 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour

I've asked this before and I'll ask it again. Why does a teacher send a student to the health room because he has a loose BABY tooth?

I do not have the actual answer of course, but my best guess is since the teacher is not allowed to help the child anymore ( rolz) in case it should need help to finish falling out, she has to sent said child to the nurse. IMO we now live in a messed up world, where a LOT of people are sue crazy...

________

Tina #384691 Oct 31st, 2014 at 05:10 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I have no idea what any of your teachers or admins are doing, Sheri. Other than messing up the students more than they already are. And it sounds like the parents aren't helpful either.
I would have been tired of 5 days of trick or treating as well, Carol. One was ever enough for me. I hope Emily feels better soon.
My day is done. I have pork chops and potatoes in the crock. So dinner will be when that is done. Served with roast brussels sprouts and carrots. Teddy had fun at his school party/parade. He even sat for a little face painting then immediately smeared it after. So he looks like a lot of the other zombies out there.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384692 Oct 31st, 2014 at 08:35 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I wish everyone a Happy Halloween Evening.

________

Tina #384698 Oct 31st, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween... we only had 17 kids here tonit besides 2 of our boys... Timothy went with his friends... he is so grown up.... Carrie was unhappy about that... she didn't want him to go but Jon said he had to grow up sometime and he is a responsible kid... he has a party tomorrow too..
Nicoli was the grim reaper... and Derek dressed as a Nerd... they both looked good... Nicoli said he got a lot of choc candy but as mom paid him to give it up he was happy.. he wants to spend his cash on and Itune card for his games he likes... he wanted me to give him choc so he would make more money.... LOL!
Well off to bed for me... it was warm today and nice for the trick or treaters... but it's getting cooler now and I want to get and early start tomorrow... got laundry and house stuff to get done... been ignoring it for most of this week but has to get done now...

have a good evening all.... sleep well..
Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #384699 Oct 31st, 2014 at 01:14 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
HI ! I had 3 kids tonight. And 2 of them were the little girls from next door. My DH was happy though I must say, there was plenty of candy left for him to eat.

After time to have my lights on tonight, I switched my Halloween Decorations for Thanksgiving Ones. Now all I have to do yet, is buy a Thanksgiving garden flag for the front of the house. (it seems I am giving mine to my grandson.) bow

G'nite & Sweet Dreams.

________

Tina #384706 Oct 31st, 2014 at 08:33 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning all. We only had 21 kids pass by...lowest amount ever. Grandgirl had fun though, she filled a pillowcase full with only 16 houses and scored over $30 from family members lol

Next thing for us is Remembrance Day on the 11th then Christmas will be in full swing. Junie, you'll lose lots of decorations to your grandsons as they grow up lol

Does Teddy get to go trick or treating Tina? I am giggling at the thought of Nicoli trying to score more dimes with Nana's candy lol

Tina #384707 Oct 31st, 2014 at 08:57 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. Teddy loves to go visiting. But he doesn't eat candy. He'd rather go inside and check out people's video collections. He won't dress in a costume. But he is a pretty happy guy and doesn't miss it.
We had a very good rain overnight. It can keep on doing that and I'll be pretty happy. But my achy bones woke me early. I am going to crawl back under my blankets and watch the news of the day.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384708 Oct 31st, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
While it is actually today, we will celebrate All Saint's Day(remembering the people who have died the last year) at church on Sunday.
Veteran's Day here the 11th. Thanksgiving will be the next actual Holiday I notice I guess.

Christmas-----yep, I had best get on that hadn't I ???

________

Tina #384709 Nov 1st, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I remember when people often still called Veterans day, Armistice Day. It was created to celebrate the end of WWI, the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Celebrated with red Flanders poppies. During WWII it was changed to Veterans Day to celebrate all who served in the armed forces. Remembrance Day is pretty much the same thing in the UK, Canada and Australia, etc. I miss the poppies that were available everywhere on that day.
Ted has both the Monday and Tuesday off of school this year. Plus the whole week of Thanksgiving. That makes it a short and sweet month.
Good morning for my second time. I kind of wanted to go out early and see if I could get some discounted candies. But I may not do that. I think I will be out fixing my dirt roads behind my house. The rains created some unwanted ruts.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384711 Nov 1st, 2014 at 07:34 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
They had said the showers would clear up by noon. But I still have some happening off and on this afternoon.
I have much of my laundry done. The dryer is helping to warm the other side of the house. It is a chilly day.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384712 Nov 1st, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
My oldest DD is here, and supper is done. We had pork steak Rosemary roasted potatoes, corn, Waldorf salad & rolls. The meal is cleaned up & the dishwasher is running.

Henry is currently drinking his pre-bedtime milk.

It was a good day.

________

Tina #384713 Nov 1st, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts

We had a pretty good day too... slept in, which was nice since I woke up sometime in the night and didn't go back to sleep for awhile... then oldest dd called and we went to Joanne's for the material for the newest great grandchilds blanket- found 2 different fleeces to make actually- one in army camo print for one side and one side will be flags and other patriotic symbols and go Army on it... for his Dad who just joined... the other is more baby.. ABC.s with animals on a white background... and the other side will be solid blue fleece.. it's all fleece actually... so tomorrow I have a lot of sewing to get started.. and 2 weeks before the baby shower...

I got some of the laundry started.. bedding done anyway- rest will happen tomorrow- we have the two little boys here tonit till Carrie and Jon get back from their dinner out... Nicoli and I are watching Dr Who .. his latest favorite show... haven't watched it in years...

Well I am going to go find something to eat ... we are doing leftovers tonit and get another load started...

have a good evening ..

Nana

[Linked Image]
JunieGirl #384714 Nov 1st, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I remember the poppys being handed out for a donation as well. I miss that too.

I will say g'nite for the night. Sweet Dreams to you all.

________

Tina #384715 Nov 1st, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams, Carol. How long is your family visiting?
Nana, you are very good grandparents. It is nice of you to give the kids a date night.
I had leftovers for dinner tonight as well.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384717 Nov 1st, 2014 at 01:08 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I turned my clocks back. It is time to crawl under my warm blankets.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384718 Nov 1st, 2014 at 01:43 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Our clocks are turned back too.. except for cars... we have a lot of clocks!

My laundry is almost done too... rest will happen in the morning... going to go up and remake my beds and then hit my pillows too...

I remember the poppy's too.. in girls scouts one yr we helped give them out- must have been when we lived in Juneau cause that's when I was a girl scout... 1962 maybe?

Well off to make a bed or two and get myself to bed.. supposed to cool off tomorrow a lot.. they said the s word for weather too... maybe just mixed with rain... so not looking fwd to it being cold..

Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #384719 Nov 1st, 2014 at 08:10 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning...poppies are still handed out here for a donation. If any of you would like one just PM me your address. I'd be happy to send it to you. We celebrate on the 11th also.

It is snowing out, first storm of the season and it is bringing us a foot of the white stuff....and I still don't have my Winter tires on so I'll be staying home for a couple of days.

By the way...when I first signed in it took me to a strange layout saying 'administrator's page'...then showed me a test page. I had to reload the page and go to active topics again to get back here.

Tina #384720 Nov 1st, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. Working on my internal alarm to get it right.
Sunny. It really isn't the physical poppy that I miss so much. But what it meant and represented. A reminder.
Today will be getting ready for the school week. I will strip beds and things. I'll put a big pot of water on to heat up. Then I transfer that to the bathroom to warm the room before Ted's bath. It helps now the the weather has turned.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384723 Nov 2nd, 2014 at 08:42 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
The time change gave us all time to visit this morning before church. shewinks

I made some Pillsbury Turnovers this morning. My Poor daughter thought I had made them from scratch. I guess they were good, huh ?.. why I should have caught on when I commented that they were smaller than they had been in the past, to which she said well they are just crescent rolls. (I now know she thought I cut them too small) Then later she asked what the filling was--to which I finally said well it is just canned apple pie filling.

When I realized what she was getting at I showed her the package.. lol I guess I should have kept my mouth shut huh??

On other news I had a 3 hour nap this afternoon. I have to wonder why changing the time by 1 hour can be so hard on us.

________

Tina #384724 Nov 2nd, 2014 at 09:06 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am so glad you had such a nice visit, Carol.
I purposely didn't nap this afternoon. I want to sleep the new hours tonight. I hope. We are all bathed and trimmed here. Ready for the new week.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #384729 Nov 2nd, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
and you are right, Tina. I am wide awake now... rolz

________

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image