Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345744 Jul 1st, 2011 at 03:30 AM
bigjoe Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey y'all I have been looking around on here for a solution to a problem my dad and I are having with our gardens.
I'm running hydroponics and my dad is growing in soil. We are having the same problems. With our green beans growing new leaves then shrivelling and not growing past about 2 inches long. We both had a problem with some sort of bug digging tunnels in the leaves within the first 2 weeks of planting but they seem to have gone away with neem oil my dad used. I had figured it was something I did caused by a bad solution mix at the beginning but when my dads started the same thing 30 yards away I started looking to other things. Right now it is really hot here and we have only had rain/clouds for the last week or two and they seem to be doing better. I have pictures I can post. Ill see if I can get them set up.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigjoe; Jul 1st, 2011 at 06:48 AM.
bigjoe #345789 Jul 2nd, 2011 at 03:17 PM
bigjoe Offline OP
OP Offline
I covered them from the sun for the hotter part of the day and it seemed to help a bit. With as small as that plant is I already have bean pods starting to grow. I have three new leaves that are looking better. I planted the beans before my cucumbers and they are almost two feet long now. Is it possible for a leaf miner to get into the stem? It looks like a few of the veins in the leaf are dying.

bigjoe #345941 Jul 8th, 2011 at 04:37 PM
bigjoe Offline OP
OP Offline
I had to start shading them during the day. I have Also been misting them with a spray bottle during the extremely hot parts of the day. Since I started cooling down my hydroponics solution more with 2 liter bottles of frozen water they have been doing so much better. I'm getting about 4-6 inches a day on my cucumbers and my cantaloupes are doing about the same. The stems on my Beans have greened up again, they were starting to get closer to a brown color. My dads are doing better now also. He found his Ph was way up there and his nitrogen was almost non existent. He picked up a garden test kit from the local hardware store for about $10 and we both use vinegar to drop the Ph. The water out of my tap is about 7.5 on the Ph meter. I use bottled water in my hydroponics since I found that and my dad has started using a weak version of my hydroponics solution in his soil. Nothing really gets around the heat though its killer here right now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image