Cheech is one of your guides to gardening Gardeners growing together and sharing a garden of knowledge Charlie knows a lot about gardening!
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#345744 - 07/01/2011 11:30 AM shriveled green beans
bigjoe Offline

Loc: cibolo tx
Hey y'all I have been looking around on here for a solution to a problem my dad and I are having with our gardens.
I'm running hydroponics and my dad is growing in soil. We are having the same problems. With our green beans growing new leaves then shrivelling and not growing past about 2 inches long. We both had a problem with some sort of bug digging tunnels in the leaves within the first 2 weeks of planting but they seem to have gone away with neem oil my dad used. I had figured it was something I did caused by a bad solution mix at the beginning but when my dads started the same thing 30 yards away I started looking to other things. Right now it is really hot here and we have only had rain/clouds for the last week or two and they seem to be doing better. I have pictures I can post. Ill see if I can get them set up.

Edited by bigjoe (07/01/2011 02:48 PM)

Sponsored Links

#345789 - 07/02/2011 11:17 PM Re: shriveled green beans [Re: bigjoe]
bigjoe Offline

I covered them from the sun for the hotter part of the day and it seemed to help a bit. With as small as that plant is I already have bean pods starting to grow. I have three new leaves that are looking better. I planted the beans before my cucumbers and they are almost two feet long now. Is it possible for a leaf miner to get into the stem? It looks like a few of the veins in the leaf are dying.

#345940 - 07/09/2011 12:11 AM Re: shriveled green beans [Re: bigjoe]
robertcrony Offline

Loc: 1905 Willow Ave, Weehawken, NJ...
Facing the similar problem as yours and looking for any good solution over it.

#345941 - 07/09/2011 12:37 AM Re: shriveled green beans [Re: bigjoe]
bigjoe Offline

I had to start shading them during the day. I have Also been misting them with a spray bottle during the extremely hot parts of the day. Since I started cooling down my hydroponics solution more with 2 liter bottles of frozen water they have been doing so much better. I'm getting about 4-6 inches a day on my cucumbers and my cantaloupes are doing about the same. The stems on my Beans have greened up again, they were starting to get closer to a brown color. My dads are doing better now also. He found his Ph was way up there and his nitrogen was almost non existent. He picked up a garden test kit from the local hardware store for about $10 and we both use vinegar to drop the Ph. The water out of my tap is about 7.5 on the Ph meter. I use bottled water in my hydroponics since I found that and my dad has started using a weak version of my hydroponics solution in his soil. Nothing really gets around the heat though its killer here right now.

Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Visit us on Facebook
Shout Box

Forum Stats
15,839 Members
65 Forums
13,576 Topics
206,772 Posts

Max Online: 1,546
Occurred On: 06/30/2013 11:59 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
JunieGirl 191
Tina 137
dodge 80
Bestofour 64
chermoni 33
Sunflowers 32
Nana's15 30
Gremelin 20
DaisyM 18
jayhawk 16

Hosting has been provided by Interserver.net
(Use coupon code "VNC" for discounts at checkout)