Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345694 Jun 29th, 2011 at 06:00 AM
OP Offline
Has anybody tried to plant this beautiful flower in their backyard? I live in Columbus, Ohio and we have cold winters. Is it an annual or perennial? Someone told me that the seeds that fall from the spent flowers will grow more flowers in the spring and to make sure the soil is not covered with too much mulch so that the seeds will get into the soil. Is this really true? I'm curious to know how successful the new growth from the seeds will turn out. Any success in doing this? Thanks so much!

Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Tiger Eye rudbeckia is a reseeding annual or a short lived perennial. Mine reseeds like crazy, and yes, you need to leave the soil uncovered so the seed will have soil contact for germination in the fall or following spring. I also have several other annual rudbeckias that reseed, like Irish Eyes and Cherry Brandy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thank you, alankhart. How did the flowers from the seeds turn out? Were they as beautiful as the original rudbeckia plant or tiny? The rudbeckia I'm planning to put in the ground right now is very thick with lots of big beautiful flowers. I hope the new plant from the seeds will be as gorgeous.

Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
Rudbeckias are one plant whose seedlings usually stay true to the parent plant. Mine always looked great and just as large as the parent. One thing I did notice is that seedlings that started in the fall got much bigger than those that started in the following spring, so you may want to actually plant some of the seeds in late summer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image