Your browser does not seem to support CSS. If images appear below, please disregard them.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#345239 - June 11th, 2011 at 07:05 PM String of Pearls DYING!!  
tmkinzer Offline
tmkinzer  Offline

I bought a Senecio Rowleyanus "String of Pearls" plant about a month and a half ago. When I got it, there were many beads where the strings started and it looked full and healthy. Now, the strings are rotting from the top down and I'm pretty sure it isn't going to snap out of it. This is the second time this has happened with this plant and I'm confused about what I am doing wrong. It is in a hanging basket near a window where it gets several hours of sun daily. I never over-water it and the soil never gets waterlogged. Could it be that I just can't grow these plants? Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
#345245 - June 11th, 2011 at 08:47 PM Re: String of Pearls DYING!! [Re: tmkinzer]  
Tina Online content
California Queen
Tina  Online Content
California Queen
30k Posts

So. Cal.
Welcome, tm. It still sounds like too much water. These need to dry out completely between watering. And even then very sparingly on the water. I would also turn the plant pretty often (every few days) in that window to let all sides get some direct sun. When these plants are happy, they are hard to stop from growing but when they are unhappy, they do let you know it.

~Tina

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
#345860 - July 6th, 2011 at 12:01 AM Re: String of Pearls DYING!! [Re: tmkinzer]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered

Provide a porous, fast draining soil with lots of sunlight, good air circulation and plenty of water, but make sure to keep your plant lightly moist during the growing season. If the beads look flat, then it is a sign that you plant is too dry. Give them a proper water, but take care not to overwater. Feed them once in a month with a balanced liquid fertilizer diluted by half. Mix the soil with cactus potting mix or use 3 parts good quality potting soil along with 1 part sharp sand.

Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in August
Gardening in September
Gardening in October

Visit us on Facebook
Shout Box
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics13,927
Posts221,171