Register Today!
Welcome to the A Gardeners Forum forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and access to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#342988 - 03/29/2011 at 07:10 AM Why is my squash turning yellow?
pops1982 Offline

When I planted these a couple of weeks ago they were yellow. After planting they greened up in 2 or 3 days but have now started to yellow again with brown edges on the leaves. The plants are small but have lots of blossoms. Last year was the first year for the garden. The squash plants last year looked good but the fruit would get soft and rot on the vine. Sent a soil sample to TX A&M and was advise to add .6 lbs nitrogen /1000 sqft and .8 lbs of phosphorus /1000sqft and I did. pH was 7.3. Also added a garden mix soil to the garden and tilled all this in. Please help.

Edited by pops1982 (03/29/2011 at 07:15 AM)
Edit Reason: Add picture

Sponsored Links

#346229 - 07/17/2011 at 10:19 PM Re: Why is my squash turning yellow? [Re: pops1982]
Jean_Smith
Unregistered

Squash plants are pretty hardy plants, and the hard part is figuring out exactly what is wrong. If the plant is stressed, then the leaves start yellowing any time. Reason could be lack of water, Iron Deficiency or Bacterial Wilt. Squash need about two inches of water a week sometimes they need more due to high temperatures. Make sure that you don't overwater your plants. Add some Iron Chelates to the soil it's a kind of fertilizer. Usually, Iron deficiency is a result of the nutrients being leeched out of the soil due to over watering

Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in June
Gardening in July
Gardening in August

Visit us on Facebook
Shout Box

Forum Stats
15,874 Members
65 Forums
13,643 Topics
208,285 Posts