Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#309252 Mar 5th, 2010 at 01:03 PM
Earth Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a problem.

I plan this year for the first time, to grows squash, cantaloupe, watermelons, and pumpkins. I have been to several different garden stores and have been told that squash plants can not be grown with cantaloupes because they cross pollinate and create bitter cantaloupes while other stores tell me pumpkins and cantaloupes can not be grown together because they too can cross pollinate causing bitter cantaloupe.

I have so far found room for the squash and watermelon on another side of my garden but if I grow cantaloupes and pumpkins together in the same patch, will it affect the taste of the cantaloupe or the pumpkin?

The cantaloupe will be the Hearts of Gold type and the pumpkin is the Sugar Pumpkin.

Thanks

"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice."
- Marquis de la Grange
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well I always thought that a squash couldn't pollinate a cucumber or melon...I also thought that the result of cross-pollination is only seen if one saved the seed from the affected plant for next years use...

Now you've got me curious also. lol

..but I have heard that cantelopes and watermelons can't cross-pollinate because they are a different genus.

Earth, I am open to a great discussion on this...any takers with us?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Earth Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah. I thought the same until I started asking around. I tend to buy my seeds at farms and farmers markets during the year and was told similar things by a few home farmers and commercial farmers that it happens. Though I was thinking maybe its specific types that tend to cross pollinate.

I am a Morning Glory fanatic, at the most enjoyable part about growing Morning Glories are how different types of morning glories cross pollinate or mutate to create exciting and unique types of flowers. So the idea of some sort of cross pollinating occurring between squash or melons or pumpkins seemed credible.

For now I already started germinating the seedlings and still plan to plant them together. I'm doing a raised bed of four pumpkin and four cantaloupe plants. I'm hoping all goes well. But if anyone can chime in and have any information on this it would be appreciated.

- Marquis de la Grange
1k Posts
1k Posts
It is okay to plant pumpkin and cantaloupe next to each other.You can also plant watermelon next to cantaloupe. Just don't plant winter squash(e.g. pumpkins,butternut squash) next to summer squash(zucchini,etc.)or cantaloupe next to honeydew. They will cross pollinate and you will end up with some weird looking squash and melons.

Waiting for fall...
Earth Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, emde

I'm very happy to hear this. I was worried I would have to reconfigure my whole garden plan.

- Marquis de la Grange

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image