Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#296435 Sep 30th, 2009 at 11:41 AM
Skyler Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a plant called "Red Blood Oxtail". It sort of looks like a 3 leaf clover with pointed ends. It is a deep burgundy color with a dark pink center. I tried to put an image with this e-mail but I don't have the software required to do so for this website. I purchased this plant (3 2" pots) years ago. I put them all into one pot. I have separated this plant several times into other pots and given them away. I have 2 pots left and need to separate them once again. I can probably get 4 or 5 plants from these two.

These plants have long thin stems. They need to be supported. This is my delima. I used to be able to purchase stakes (triangular shape, lattice like) that I could put in the pot to support the plant. I have not been able to find them anywhere. Does anyone know where I might get them. Without them the plants droop over the pot and as a result, I lose a lot of the plant. The stems have to be supported. I've tried string (cuts into the stem). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Joan

Skyler #296708 Oct 4th, 2009 at 12:17 PM
I"ve had the same problem. I am temporarily using some old chopsticks formed into a cross.
you could get some dowels from a hardware store, cut to sizes you need and wrap the joins with string or wire... (maybe glue too for permanency?)

I also found these neat decorative wooden stems at IKEA that i'm going to cut up and use as supports for climbers. perhaps you could find something kinda like a lattice... Michaels craft store?

[Linked Image]
Shot at 2009-10-04

or- if you have any outdoor gardening fence (the green kind) you could cut that up into whatever size you needed and form it. it might need some supports

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image