Register Today!
Welcome to the A Gardeners Forum forums! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to most of our discussions and access to other features.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with our users (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free; so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#280510 - 05/16/2009 at 04:36 PM Brown spots on rose leaves
Charlie_Webb Offline

Loc: Calhoun County, Alabama
I have some rose bushes in the flower bed that have looked really healthy this year. Within the past few days though I have noticed some large drak brownish colored spots showing up on the otherwise healthy dark green leaves. I have no idea what this is but we have had a lot of rain the past month. Is this anything to be concerned about? If so what can I do about it? I live in northeast Alabama if that helps at all.

Sponsored Links

#280511 - 05/16/2009 at 05:35 PM Re: Brown spots on rose leaves [Re: Charlie_Webb]
angelblossom Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

Loc: Arlington,Texas
Brown Spot Black Spot is fungus due to humidity. I too have to deal with that every Spring Here in Tx.
The leaves get wet and stay wet throughout the day creating a fungus,
Here is what I do,
Cut off all the infected leaves place in a bag and throw away, Do Not let any linger on the ground as the spores will still be active and will infect more leaves so make sure all are removed even on the ground,
You can get a spray called Rose Defense By greenlight[ and spray only early in the morning before the sun shines on the rose 's in the heat of the day. other wise the heat of the sun will "Burn" the remaining leaves with the rose defense on it,
You can also Buy Neem oil concentrate and use it in a spray bottle,, Both are found at your local nurserys,, Rose Defense is found at Home Depot and Maybe Lowe's.
Either One will have to be used repeatedly 2 times a week until No signs of reoccurring fungus.
As a precautionary measure I always spray them Once a week Until the rainy season is over. I also "thin" the roses ( Cutting out crossing Branches in the middle of the rose bushes ) to allow for more air circulation

I know it's disappointing to have to remove all the spotted, yellowing leaves,, and possibly removing a branch or two , But it must be done to restore it's health.
Bad thing about rains and humidity with roses,, especially if you have a tree in close proximity, the leaves on the tree has rain drops on them that in turn drip on the roses during the day even when the rain has stopped ,, creating possible fungus ,

"Grace without perfection is more to be desired
than perfection without grace."

#280517 - 05/16/2009 at 09:53 PM Re: Brown spots on rose leaves [Re: angelblossom]
Charlie_Webb Offline

Loc: Calhoun County, Alabama
Thanks so much for the prompt help. As soon as it stops raining (again) I'll try that and I'll look for the Rose defense stuff tomorrow.

#280528 - 05/17/2009 at 01:34 AM Re: Brown spots on rose leaves [Re: Charlie_Webb]
angelblossom Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

Loc: Arlington,Texas
You're very welcome,,

"Grace without perfection is more to be desired
than perfection without grace."

#384453 - 10/20/2014 at 03:49 PM Re: Brown spots on rose leaves [Re: Charlie_Webb]
Nassooepwoe Offline

It’s really great posts.

Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in September
Gardening in October
Gardening in November

Visit us on Facebook
Shout Box

Forum Stats
15,882 Members
65 Forums