Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Black catapillar/beetle looking things with orange spots are growing all over my grape's leaves! They are so weird looking! Any idea what they are? What will get rid of them? ~So far I have been having poor hubby squish them, LOL! He doesn't seem to mind, LOL! I really don't want to use chemicals if there is something natural.
Thanks guys!
Eva

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Eva
What will get rid of them? Eva

I'd find out what they are before you squash too many of them. they may be something you don't necessarily want to get rid of. (pls don't be like a buddy of mine that seven dusted the nasty caterpillars that were eating up her butterfly bush. lol...only to find out later they WOULD have been butterflies.)
try googling catterpillars and grapes, or somthing similar. sometimes it's easier to id bugs by googling what they are eating on.

let us know.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh my! I didn't even think of that... Thanks!

[Linked Image]

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
can you post a pic???

if not, please describe them better...small and round, skinny and long, shiny, not shiny, fly or don't fly, etc.

also, what state are you located in?

if they're not actually eating the leaves, i wouldn't worry about them.

Zone 6b
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Joclyn
if they're not actually eating the leaves, i wouldn't worry about them.[/color]

bingo! thumbup
and SOMETIMES even if they are eating the leaves, they are providing a natural pruning that will help the health and production of your vines.

really need a pic, or more details to know for sure. bow

Cricket

Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, you know that Murphy's Law gets me every time!neener I have gone out there to take a picture all day and it seems they have all gonerspb. So if they come back I will show you guys. Maybe since I am writing this they will be on there tomorrow~ just to make a lair out of me notme, LOL. Thanks guys for the info! luv

[Linked Image]

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Eva, it's just like children. They're sneaky and make a liar out of you every time.

Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep! haha

[Linked Image]

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
'whats that bug' is a good website. I've used it several times.

So, did you figure out what you have Eva? are you seeing them anymore?

Cricket

I had the same thing on my roses. I stopped squishing them when i realized they were infant lady bugs. I had purchased adult ladies 2 years ago to fight aphids.Apparently they returned to lay eggs. The juvenile LB's look weird black with orange dots, and scale type sections that seem to overlap on the back.

Perhaps the reason they disappeared is they have made their transformation. Have you seen an abundance of LB's in your yard lately?

Does anyone know if the fruit of the aloe vera plant are edible?
They smell like green beans when snapped appart. I wonder if they would be good in a salad.
My aloes are so happy they have produced pods from the flowers. I have not seen this before.
Any info?

Could it be a ladybug larvae, they are good to have on your plant!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finklez/3182988594/

Last edited by KeithP; Apr 22nd, 2009 at 03:56 PM.
I think i have something similar in my garden too... I had no idea they were good for plants but i found it gross to squash them and usually i don't use any insecticide, so that's why they had been spared till now. It's a relief to know this though, i have few pink roses in my garden and i was afraid they could be harmed by these bugs. They were a birthday gift from my best friend, and i know she would feel hurt if something happens to them.

Last edited by Wild Willy; Mar 10th, 2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: removed link
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Originally Posted by Eva
Black catapillar/beetle looking things with orange spots are growing all over my grape's leaves! They are so weird looking! Any idea what they are? What will get rid of them? ~So far I have been having poor hubby squish them, LOL! He doesn't seem to mind, LOL! I really don't want to use chemicals if there is something natural.
Thanks guys!
Eva

Hi Eva,

Just so you are aware, European Grapevine Moth was found in the Napa Valley. See photos of the European Moth here. Read the March 12, 2010 news about the moth here.

A huge swath of Wine Country, including vineyards where some of the world's best grapes are grown, was quarantined this week after an invasive moth was discovered.

The European grapevine moth has already destroyed at least one vineyard's harvest and damaged other prime vineyards in the Napa Valley, prompting the California Department of Food and Agriculture to place under quarantine 162 square miles of land, mostly in Napa County but including parts of Sonoma and Solano counties.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image