Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#217322 Jun 21st, 2008 at 06:11 AM
BandB Offline OP
OP Offline
Good Morning! Our potato plants are turning yellow and laying over onto the ground. Until yesterday, they were doing great, looking healthy and flowering. Is this normal? Could it be that they are ready to harvest already?

Last edited by BandB; Jun 21st, 2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: spelling error
All the plants or just one or a few? My experience has been that the turn brown slowly over a few days then get so dry that after a few more days the tops start crumbling and laying down. Dig one up and see what you have. The ones we grow take 3-4 months in a good growing season, less in a drought.

I am having the same problem. One at a time they seem healthy, then the leaves start to wilt, then the plant just dies. The ones right next to them still seem healthy? I have not tried to dig anything up yet - they are only about 2 months old. I am puzzled. This is my 1st year of potato plants. wondering if I might be over watering, or wrong soil (compost mix from the yard & garden store). Any help would be appreciated.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think you shoud dig up a hill as suggested---one year mine died very quickly also---and i did not remmber seeing them flower that year either--well i had potatoes that year , just not as many.--

How much rain have you had lately???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Mine are doing the same thing and have only been growing for about 1.5 months. I dug around a couple of them and do not have any potatoes. The leaves started looking a little curled a few days ago, then they started turning yellow and falling over. We just had a good steady rain all afternoon yesterday and through the night. This didn't perk them up any at all. There are no bugs on them or holes other than the tiny ones from flee beetles we killed about 3 weeks ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Steph

Well we picked our first potatoes today - they were very good. I still don't know what happened to my plants. Some died and some didn't. They taste so good, I will grow them again next year for sure.

Some times you think there is enough moist in the ground when there is not. At first sign check by just diging a few inches near the plant, you'll be surpriced.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image